Four recovered, two lifeless, two injured from Lagos collapsed building - OPID News

Our people in Diaspora News



Monday, 1 November 2021

Four recovered, two lifeless, two injured from Lagos collapsed building

 Four recovered, two lifeless, two injured from Lagos collapsed building 

Eyewitnesses have recovered two persons from the collapsed 21-storey building at Gerrard Road, Ikoyi, The Nation has learnt.

Two of the victims were said to be lifeless and brought out by construction workers at nearby structures before the arrival of rescue agencies, while another two were critically injured.

It was gathered that artisans working at nearby buildings rallied round to render emergency services when the high rise structured caved in around 1:56pm.

It cannot be immediately confirmed if the lifeless victims were dead as sources said they were handed over to medics who came to the scene in two ambulances.

Our reporter observed that the construction workers were using crude tools powered by generator to try to cut some of the rods to bring out trapped persons.

According to eyewitnesses, over 50 people were working in the property when it suddenly vibrated and collapsed.

The owner of the building, identified as Mike, was said to be trapped inside, while a man alleged that three of his children were there as well.

A witness told The Nation that he and co-workers felt the vibration of the structure from the property they were working in.

He said: “We were working beside the building while some others are working inside the collapsed building.

“More than 50 people were working inside this big building when it collapsed.

“The building started vibrating and the next thing it came down. One person was pulled out lifeless. The owner is inside. We have been talking with some of our colleagues who are trapped inside.

“We have been calling emergency workers since 2pm but they did not get here till past 4pm but we are glad they are here now because it will be faster.

“Since they got here, five others have been rescued. Those ones are alive and were taken to the ambulance.”

A dispatch rider, Rasheed Olamilekan, who joined the rescue team around 2:30pm, said they saw about four dead bodies, adding that three persons were rescued alive and taken to the hospital.

He said he was on his way to Ajah when he saw the incident and stopped to render help.

“Immediately I stopped and other people too stopped so we could help those in need of help.

“We rescued like three people and we saw like four people who died. We called the emergency many times but nobody came here. I got here around 2:30pm. People were shouting inside the building when we got here,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment