Buhari replies, saying he has not forgot Chibok schoolgirls - OPID News

Our people in Diaspora News

Breaking

Sponsor

Thursday, 15 April 2021

Buhari replies, saying he has not forgot Chibok schoolgirls

 Buhari replies, saying he has not forgot Chibok schoolgirls

Flashback:President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo with some of the rescued Chibok schoolgirls at the Presidential Villa in 2016By Ismaila Chafe

The Buhari Presidency has reassured parents and concerned citizens that the missing Chibok schoolgirls remain constantly on the minds of government, just as they are always on the minds of their parents.

Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, gave the reassurance in a statement to mark the 7th anniversary of the abduction of the girls.

Boko Haram gunmen abducted 276 of the girls from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno on 14 April, 2014.

The abduction occurred during the tenure of President Goodluck Jonathan.

As of today, 100 of the girls are still missing.

And there had been several large scale abductions of students in northern Nigeria since then, under Buhari’s watch.

But Shehu gave assurances that the ”release of the remaining Chibok girls is still work in progress.

”No one is giving up hope here. Efforts to secure their release through various channels and activities of the security and intelligence agencies remain on course”.

According to the presidential aide, the recent decisive push by the military against the terrorists gives hope that a breakthrough is possible and can happen anytime soon.

Shehu asked for support, understanding and prayers for the military as they discharge their historic mandate to quickly finish off the insurgency war and free all citizens held hostag

President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed the reason for the non-release of the remaining Chibok schoolgirls by their Boko Haram abductors, months after over 100 of them were freed.

In a statement commemorating the 4th anniversary of the abduction at Chibok Girls Secondary School, in Borno State, on 14 April 2014, Buhari said talks with Boko Haram to free the girls have run into some hitches, because of the divisions in the terrorists ranks.

“Unfortunately, the negotiations between the government and Boko Haram suffered some unexpected setbacks, owing mainly to a lack of agreement among their abductors, whose internal differences have led to a divergence of voices regarding the outcome of the talks”, Buhari said in a statement issued by Malam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant on the media.

“We know that this is not the news parents want to hear after four whole years of waiting, but we want to be as honest as possible with you.

“However, this government is not relenting. We will continue to persist, and the parents should please not give up.

President Buhari reassured the parents of the schoolgirls that “their daughters will never be forgotten or abandoned to their fate”.

Buhari said government would continue its efforts to ensure the safe return of the girls to their respective homes, despite that it has been four long years since they were taken away by the terrorists.

President Buhari joined the Borno government, parents of the children and Nigerians in commemorating the fourth anniversary of the sad incident.

He urged the parents to keep their hopes alive on the return of their daughters.

President Buhari noted that the recovery of more than 100 of the girls through the Federal Government’s determined effort should give confidence that all “hope is not lost’”.

“We are concerned and aware that it is taking long to bring the rest of our daughters back home, but be assured that this administration is doing its very best to free the girls from their captors.

”Don’t give up hope of seeing our daughters back home again. Don’t lose faith in this government’s ability to fulfil our promise of reuniting you with our daughters.

“Don’t imagine for a moment that we have forgotten about our daughters or that we consider their freedom a lost course,’’ the President said.

According to him, as long as he remains the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the Chibok schoolgirls will never be forgotten and all will be done to have them reunited with their families.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages