Suspected herdsmen murder AAU graduate in Edo - OPID News

Our people in Diaspora News

Breaking

Sponsor

Wednesday, 16 June 2021

Suspected herdsmen murder AAU graduate in Edo

 Suspected herdsmen murder AAU graduate in Edo

Ella Williams

Tragedy struck Monday morning as a graduate of Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Ekpoma, was reportedly killed by suspected herdsmen.

The AAU graduate, Miss Ella Williams, was reportedly gunned down by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen.

The tragic incident which allegedly occurred on Monday, along the kidnapper-infested Benin-Auchi highway, was made known by a Facebook user, Asomba Andrew Egbuonu.

Egbuonu said Ella Williams who graduated with a Masters of Science degree in Architecture, met her death while travelling from Benin, to pick up her call up letter at the University’s main campus in Ekpoma, in preparation for the compulsory one year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), programme.

He reported further that the herdsmen opened fire on the bus she was travelling in, killing her on the spot, while other passengers in the bus were abducted and taken into the thick forest by the hoodlums.

Asomba Andrew Egbuonu wrote on his Facebook page: “I received the devastating news of the demise of a young lady and a promising future of the Nigerian nation, Miss Ella Williams, in the hands of blood-thirsty and heartless herdsmen on the Benin–Ekpoma Road in Edo State.

“Miss Williams who has just graduated with a Masters in Architecture from Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma was said to have travelled from her Benin base to pick up her Call-up.

“She never made it back as her vehicle was attacked by murderous marauders who ambushed vehicles by opening fire on them with their small arms (aka AK47 Assault guns) killing her on the spot. What a country where human lives have no value, especially to these emotion-less invaders”, Egbuonu added.

“All over Nigeria, criminals and kidnappers plan and find ways of stopping vehicle before kidnappings their victims.

“This appears to be too much work for these roaming marauders who prefer to use their bullets indiscriminately to stop vehicles on highways, killing the drivers and any other unfortunate passengers, before kidnapping the leftover survivors and herding them into our vast ungoverned bushes and forests.

“That this modus operandi has been used repeatedly with almost no consequence for these criminals is unacceptable. The Nigerian government under the watch of our President cannot continue to claim helplessness and reign as Nigeria’s best are wasted all over Nigeria.

“Miss Williams is gone, lost to a nation in need of her brightest and best. Her parents are heartbroken; her friends and colleagues in deep shock; her killers are out there still demanding and waiting to collect ransom from the surviving passengers from last week’s murderous and senseless kidnapping; and the Nigerian State moves on as it is business as usual to our rulers.”

It is pertinent to recall that quite a number ocommuters have been killed and many others injured along the Benin-Auchi highway, by suspected herdsmen and kidnappers who operate unhindered almost on a daily basis.


Charly Boy says Nigerian youths suffer injustice most 

Charly Boy

Nigerian showbiz maestro and rights activist, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy, has stated that injustice is pervasive and, as such, cuts across every ethnic group and region in Nigeria.

According to Charly Boy, Nigerian youths have not also been treated with fairness in the country.

These statements were made on Tuesday by Charly Boy at the launch of ‘Project YIGBA’, themed ‘First Non-violent Line of Defence’, in Lagos.

‘Project YIGBA’, convened by Ladi Thompson, a pastor and security consultant, is focused on promoting peace-building efforts in the country.

Speaking on security challenges and the agitations for secession, Charly Boy said youths can no longer be referred to as future leaders unless the menace of injustice is strategically curtailed.

“The group of people who have been most affected by injustice are young people — the youths, more than the Igbos, more than the Yorubas, more than the middle belt — because this is not the country where you say the youths are the future leaders,” he said.

“Injustice is injustice everywhere and that’s what connects the Yoruba nation and the middle belt.

“The things that unite us are more than the things that divide us. So, it is just the selected few who are causing these problems, and enough is enough.”

The activist added that citizens of the country must embrace “reasonable and logical roundtable talk” and a sense of unity to proffer solutions to the challenges.

“You can’t have a house that you want to put floors upon floors with a faulty foundation. It can’t happen. That house can’t stand. So, this is what is needed, and I believe this will go a long way,” he said.

“We will start by coming to a roundtable to talk, for people who want to talk, reason and be logical. Then, it is by us uniting — the east, the west, the middle belt — because it was systematic when they put us against each other.

“There is grave injustice in Nigeria, whether it is Biafra, Oduduwa nation. The injustice needs to be addressed.”


Apologise to Nigerians, BMO tells PDP governors

Buhari Media Organisation (BMO): says PDP governors should apologise to Nigerians for their party’s profligacy while in power.

Buhari Media Organisation (BMO) has told governors elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to apologise to Nigerians.

BMO said the PDP governors should be apologizing to Nigerians for their party’s profligacy while in power.

According to the group, this is more honourable than peddling unfounded claims and half-truths about the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

The group, in a statement signed by its Chairman Niyi Akinsiju and Secretary Cassidy Madueke, described the communiqué issued at the end of the Governors’ meeting as a criminal attempt by senior opposition figures to not only distort recent history but to also revile it.

“We view the PDP Governors’ 14-paragraph communique as either a public show of their lack of understanding of issues or outright mischief and that’s why we consider it necessary to demand an apology from them.

“It beggars belief that a group of active politicians would describe the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) under President Muhammadu Buhari’s watch as one that operates in an ‘opaque manner’ when every discerning Nigerian knows that was what obtained in the PDP years.

“We make bold to say that it was not until the Buhari era that the NNPC began a monthly publication of its operational expenditures as well as an annual release of its audited report. This is only a few years after we were told, in very clear terms, by previous government officials, that it would be difficult to open the national oil company’s finances to public view because Nigerians would not understand it.

“We wonder whether those Governors were not aware of the very public endorsement of NNPC’s operation by the global watchdog for the extractive industries, Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) after the corporation published its first audited account in 10 years that captured details of all of its 20 listed subsidiaries, including companies floated offshore for the corporation’s international business.

“If this qualifies as ‘opacity’ in the view of PDP Governors, then we can clearly describe them as mischief-makers, playing politics with a serious matter with the intention to hoodwink members of the public.

“We also find the Governors’ buzzwords ‘think outside of the box’ advice on the Power sector laughable, especially as it came from chieftains of a party that spent about $25bn on the sector in 16 years but the country could only generate about 4,000 megawatts of power. Meanwhile, the Buhari administration they are advising has creatively entered into government-to-government arrangements on Power with Germany and China, as well as built a number of power infrastructure in six years.

“There is also the more serious issue of PDP Governors describing the Central Bank as a ‘Leviathan’ and a ‘father Christmas of sorts’ apparently based on the manner the Apex Bank has been rejigged as a major contributor to the Buhari administration’s Economic Sustainability Plan (ESP).

“We invite Nigerians to compare a CBN which today has 37 interventions that are putting money in the hands of Nigerians of all classes, to one that operated like a microfinance bank where sacks of dollars were taken on demand and delivered in homes of a few public officers and ruling party officials.

“And in case the PDP Governors had forgotten, we believe the chairman of the forum, Aminu Tambuwal can still easily recall the rowdy scenes on the floor of the House of Representatives, at the time he was Speaker, over the manner a former CBN governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was removed from office after he raised the alarm over the disappearance of $20bn of NNPC’s unremitted revenue.

“So we believe he and his colleagues should have been patriotic enough to tell themselves the truth about the Buhari-era CBN and the one that their party presided over”.

BMO also noted that that the Governors’ position on the country’s debt profile, local government autonomy, and the decision to suspend the microblogging site, Twitter, was unfortunate.

“We view their stance on the national debt as the height of deception, especially the manner they suggested that the Buhari administration eroded the gains of PDP governments.

“We wonder which party handed over a debt profile of $63bn to President Buhari at the inception of this administration in 2015? This was also a time Nigeria’s oil receipts were high to the extent that the country was said to have made $780bn from crude sales in 16 years, so the question is how could they accumulate a debt of $63bn in five years?

“This is why we challenge the former ruling party and its officials to show evidence of what they did with the loans secured by their administration and let Nigerians compare it with the about $20bn added to the debt stock by the Buhari administration.

“On the so-called Twitter ban, the opposition Governors showed yet another lack of proper insight by holding on to the jaded opposition view of ‘personalised reasons’ without considering the generality of issues raised by the Federal Government and which the social media platform is gradually committing itself to respect.

“Our piece of advice to them and the leadership of their party is that they should take a cue from opposition elements in France who rallied en mass in support of President Emmanuel Macron when he was recently slapped by a misinformed citizen, and stand up for national interest rather than a resort to political gimmicks, always”.

The group urged Nigerians to see PDP Governors’ belated support for constitutional provisions on judicial and legislative autonomy as a reflection of the dysfunctionalities that the former ruling party and its institutions are known for


Sanwo-Olu receives Tinubu, pledges continuous empowerment of children, youths


Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Tuesday said his administration will continue to support initiatives that will empower and provide opportunities for children and youth in the State.

Sanwo-Olu said his administration is fully committed to championing the cause of the youth and the vulnerable in the society, particularly in Lagos State.

Speaking while receiving the President and Founder of the New Era Foundation and Senator representing Lagos Central Senatorial District, Senator Oluremi Tinubu during a courtesy visit at Lagos House in Marina, Governor Sanwo-Olu said the Musical Youth Fiesta Initiative started by Tinubu 10 years ago has provided opportunities for thousands of children and youth in the State.

“It has been a great honour and rare privilege to have impacted through you a lot of children and youth and I am sure the seed that the Musical Youth Fiesta Initiative has thrown up we cannot imagine it because we know that God is doing great things in their individual lives. That becomes a comforting model for us,” he said.

The Governor said the fiesta has become a real testimony as there have been records of blessings and opportunities coming out of the initiative, which created an avenue for thousands of children and youth to come together under one roof to praise God on yearly basis since its inception in 2011.

Speaking earlier, Senator Tinubu commended Governor Sanwo-Olu for partnering with her, members of the board of trustees and other stakeholders in the last 10 years to touch the lives and provide opportunities for 5,000 children and youth yearly through a showcase of talent in music, dance and drama.

She said the Board of Trustees decided to dissolve the Musical Youth Fiesta Initiative as a result of the prevalent situation and apparent inability to converge in large numbers.

For the 10th anniversary, Senator Tinubu disclosed the Musical Youth Initiative board gave out N2.5million each to four churches that have been major partners, adding that the remaining fund in the account would be transferred to the New Era Foundation for the continuous support of youth and children.

She said: “I want to thank you (Governor Sanwo-Olu) for partnering with us on this journey of touching lives. Every year since 2011, we have hosted five thousand children and youth, providing an opportunity to showcase their talent in an atmosphere of music, dance and drama. However, the 10th-anniversary edition which was scheduled to hold in December 2020 could not go on.

“In spite of this and to commemorate the milestone anniversary, we have procured school supplies consisting of one school bag, two exercise books, one ball pen, and one 100ml hand sanitizer for each child/youth.

“We have seen the fruits of what we really want to achieve among the youth. And we thought the fire is there. The dream is to bring children back into their churches to begin to train in the line of music. This has been a very fulfilling dream and it is not going to stop me from working with the children. We have the New Era Foundation and we have to keep working there.”

Senator Tinubu was accompanied by gospel artist and renowned saxophonist, Pastor Kunle Ajayi, who served as the Coordinator of the Musical Youth Fiesta.


Gunmen attack Imo lawmaker's house, behead security guard 

The Police in Imo have confirmed an attack on the country home of Mr Ekene Nnodimele, lawmaker representing Orsu constituency in the Imo House of Assembly, with his security guard beheaded.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Abutu Yaro, confirmed this to newsmen in Owerri on Wednesday.

Yaro said the attack which took place at about 1.00am on Wednesday also had a security guard on duty in the compound beheaded.

He also said investigation was ongoing to unravel the cause and perpetrators of the attack and bring them to book.

“We can confirm that there was an attack on the country home of Nnodimele, resulting in the death of a security guard on duty who appeared to have been beheaded.

“Also, the country home of the immediate past Attorney General of the state, Cyprian Akaolisa, was also attacked and investigation is also ongoing,” he said.

Speaking to newsmen in his hometown, Obibi, Awo – Idemili community, Orsu Local Government Area of Imo, Nnodimele also confirmed that a security guard on duty in his compound was beheaded.

Nnodimele said the guard, attached to a private security firm met his death when he tried to resist the armed hoodlums.

He expressed shock at receiving news of the attack as according to him, his constituents were neither violent nor rancorous.

He urged security operatives to beef up security of lives and property in the LGA and unravel circumstances surrounding the attack.

“It was a very shocking news to me because my aged parents were there. It is not in our culture to take or end life arbitrarily so I believe it is the handiwork of foreign mercenaries and I leave everything to Almighty God.

“My security man was not just killed but was beheaded. I call on security operatives to strengthen security in Orsu LGA and ensure that lives and property are protected,” he said.

He further pledged continued support for the state government while urging his constituents to remain law abiding and cooperate with law enforcement agencies so as to return peace to the area.

The lawmaker also confirmed an attack on Akaolisa’s country home in the same council.

He said that gunshots were heard at the home of the erstwhile commissioner for Justice before the hoodlums moved to his own home.

He, however, added that although parts of the former commissioner’s house were burnt, no lives were lost in the attack on his home.


JUST IN: Gunmen shoot Buhari dead in Edo


A driver with Hartland Construction Company, simply identified as Buhari was on Tuesday shot dead in Benin, the Edo state capital, by gunmen believed to be kidnappers.

Two police operatives on guard duty were also shot at by the gunmen, before kidnapping an expatriate worker.

The police operatives however survived the attack, with their service rifles intact, in the incident that occurred at the notorious Ahor village, on the Benin-Auchi highway.

It was gathered that the driver and the police operatives were coming from the Benin airport, where they went to pick the expatriate, when the gunmen suddenly appeared from the bush and opened fire on their vehicle.

The driver was said to have died on the spot while the two police officers sustained injuries, just as the expatriate was whisked into the bush by the gunmen.

The expatriate whose identity was yet unknown, has been on leave but returned to the country on Tuesday to resume work, before he was abducted.

The driver who hails from Jattu, Etsako West Local Government Area of the state, was immediately taken home for burial according to Islamic rite.

The State Commissioner of Police, Philip Ogbadu, who confirmed the incident, said the two officers, however, survived the attack.

“It happened yesterday, the driver conveying a white man being escorted by two policemen were shot at, the driver died but the officers held on to their riffles and they survived.

“The only thing is that the white man was taken away,” Ogbadu said.

He explained that the kidnappers now use the style of opening fire immediately they sight a vehicle, to force the vehicle to a stop.

Recall that Miss Ella Williams, a Masters degree graduate in Architecture from Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma, who was traveling to Ekpoma to collect her call-up letter, was killed on Monday in similar manner, along the same route.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages